Tuesday, August 25, 2009

DOING THE "LITTLE" THINGS

Ok, so how many of you wonderful folks have ever dreamed about doing something really great that made you famous, paid you lots of money, or otherwise just made you feel like you had accomplished something fantastic that really changed the world? If you are like me I'm sure there are times when you think about your true calling as a human being. I often wonder why I am here right now at this moment and if I am doing all I was meant to do.It can almost drive me crazy at times(or at least it used to). But as I have gotten older I have come to realize that maybe I have been doing what I was supposed to all along. When I was a younger man I really thought my reason for being was to write stories that would help others find their way a little easier.And even though I was fortunate enough to have had several of my writings published back then it still never felt like I had done enough. So I changed my thoughts and started looking for other ways to find my "true" calling.And it took me several years and lots of "hard" lessons to finally arrive at the conclusion that I was already fulfiling my purpose for being here. I gave up on the notion of writing a book that would become a best seller and help lots of people improve their lives.(If ya do know a good editor somewhere I still have a couple of unpublished books Ive written just lying around). It was, at first like I had given up on my dreams but I eventually saw that not all of us were meant to do something spectacular. So I gave up on that and decided to just do the "little" things in life that would be a life of service and one that I could be proud of.All of us can make a big difference by doing the "little" things. By the little things I mean like holding a door open for someone, saying hello to people you pass on the street, being quick to smile and to lend a helping hand to others, calling an old friend for no reason than to say hi I love you,rremembering someones birthday and sending a card, etc. I could go on lots longer with "little" things one can do. Now I know I will never be famous nor probably rich (unless I hit the lottery) but I now know and feel like I am being true to myself and doing all I can possibly do tomake this world a little better place for all of us.And anything I can do everyone else c an do also.So maybe the next time you find yourself wondering what your reason for being is maybe you should just take a look and see if you are doing any of the "little" things. And if you are I say great, keep up the good work, and if you are not then maybe your life would become more fulfiling if you gave it a try.Dont get me wrong, Im sure not trying to tell anyone how to do it Im only saying put a little thought into it and you may be amazed to find that you are already fulfiling your reason for being and just didnt know it.I will bid all of you a goodnight and leave you with the following quote from a very special lady who was named Helen Keller. This great lady once said "I long to accomplish great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble."

1 comment:

captron52 said...

Hi Sarah Thanks for stopping by!