Saturday, December 18, 2010

IS GOD A VIOLENT OR NONVIOLENT ENTITY

I have wondered for many years now about all the different interpretations of God that I have read or heard about. One thing for sure is that most of the people who hold a belief in a single entity who has created everything is usually very adament in their beliefs and lots of them take umbrage at those of us who dare to question the existence of this 1 Spiritual Entity. I find the writers of the bible's version can take a drastic turn from the concept of a loving kind God to that of a very demanding, violent, controlling God who can exact ETERNAL punishment upon those He deems unfit for His Kingdom. In the book of Genesis the writer labels God as One who is distraught with His creation and decides to destroy everything He has created except for 1 family.(That being Noah's family). If this is true did not this God destroy all the animal life also?And what did the animals have to do with the way humans were living on earth? Just a wee bit unfair if you ask me.And I really cannot make myself believe that of all the people on earth at this time were useless except for Noah. Not another soul anywhere worthy of another chance? Doesn't feel right to me there either.So this God is betrayed as being rather violent. At the same time in the book of John God is described as being love, nothing more nor less, than love. Is this the same God that was so violent in Noah's case?Our early ancestors attributed all natural disasters as a way of God punishing man for his sins. They simply did not know any other way to explain why "bad" things happened from time to time. And so there was born the concept of a vengeful and oft violent God. But personally I believe that God (no matter how you see Him) is only pure love and therefore nonviolent. With that being said is it no wonder why I cannot believe in a literal "hell" where ones soul can be punished for eternity! I much prefer the God I envision-a God of peace and understanding and unconditional love.I now leave you in peace with hopes for a bright and blessed holiday season to all of you folks."HUGS" to all.

8 comments:

Chris Ledgerwood said...

Yeah, biblical literalism can create some very weird ideas. I've been studying the Westboro baptist Church (CULT) Wow! Their God is just plain evil!!!

captron52 said...

Hi Chris Thks for stopping by man. Yeah i saw your blog about the Westboro cult quite amazing really! I hope things are good with you and that you and yours will have a great week

Anonymous said...

I still read your blog from time to time and you probably know my faith by now. I cannot comment specific to your posts however simply because of the hatefulness and ignorance of others toward another's beliefs. It is interesting to read your perspectives. Hope you are doing well.
Summerwind

captron52 said...

Hi Summerwind. Great to hear from you again. I remember you from the J/S pages.Hope you and yours are doing great and that you will have a most blessed holiday season.Do visit again anytime!

Greg Champy said...

If someone sat down with a blank canvas and a palette of 6 billion different paints with each paint capable of choosing which direction each one of them flowed, how would the artist create the painting that he wished to create?

captron52 said...

with a very OPEN mind Greg. Thks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Do came back anytime. Have a good one!

Greg Champy said...

Does gravity trap us or keep us from dying in an oxygen-free vacuum? Remember Icarus? There are limitations that have been imposed on us for our own good. We cannot know nor understand any dimension outside of our perception of 4. (Height, width, depth, and the procession of time) Anything outside of that is incomprehensible to us. ALL WE CAN DO IS WONDER until we leave this limited realm that we've been placed in. I do know that whoever or whatever put me here is WAY MORE THAN I AM. I have no problem acknowledging my finiteness in this infinite universe. This is a.k.a. humility. Love Ya, Man...

captron52 said...

I have to agree with that.There sure is something a lot more powerful than me who is operating here on earth with a finite mind. Ive always said our problem is that we are of a finite mind trying to reason things out that are infinite.And there's just no way to do that! But at least I know that I am a part of that Something which is greater!