Thursday, June 2, 2016

BLINDED BY THE LIGHT

Most of us have heard that phrase used at times. What happens to us when we are blinded by the light? I suppose it can be used in many different ways. If that dead deer lying by the roadside could talk he's have to say that it cost him his life. Today I'd like to share my personal thoughts on this subject. Needless to say, I've been "blinded" on many different occasions. By the light I am referring to the "Light' one thinks is shining the truth down on them. As I think back on my past years, it really is amazing the number of times I thought I really knew the answers to life. And each time I felt I had "arrived" at the truth it was way too easy for me to tell others the answers. But at long last I finally came to the conclusion that my "truths" are not very important to any one but me. In my days of youth once I had seen the light I could not understand why everyone else could not see the same light. Now I realize how arrogant I was in thinking I had it all figured out. I've come to see that I have been blinded  many times by my ego self. But thinking upon these things now help me to accept and understand others actions without condemning them for not seeing things the same way I do. At times I cannot help but see others who I feel may be blinded by the light of their own personal truths. It's not that they are either right, wrong, or somewhere in between. But I can't help but think that they may be so blinded by their light that they are short changing themselves. I say this because if one thinks their light is the only truth there is they have shut their minds off to learning anything new. I do feel it is important for all of us to arrive at some point in living that we do "adopt" our Light. The problem as I see it is that we often times fail to see that other truths lie in wait for us to discover. Also we may tend to judge others too harshly if their truths do not agree with ours. Like a deer blinded by the light of an oncoming car, we may allow our light to cause us to freeze up and never move forward to search for new truths. Truths that may indeed take us to new places in our minds. Tis better to keep moving when we are "wrong" than to freeze up when we think we are "right". This Light we all seek to discover can come to us in many different places. It can also come from just listening to another's truth without prejudging them as wrong. Light comes to us in the most unexpected moments. Beware that at any given moment you may be struck with that oncoming light. If and when this happens  to you my hope is that instead of causing you to freeze up, it will enable you to run with it and allow it to help you soar to new heights that until now you have only imagined! Be well my friends. Be good to yourselves and even better to others.

4 comments:

sito saguid said...

dear brother,

thank you for this reminder about getting awestruck by a sudden realization or an insight. as you have mentioned many times it happens that we are so enamored with what we have discovered that we sort of "freeze up", and we could not accept any other ideas or views different from ours. this stubbornness clogs our minds and limits our ability to appreciate the wisdom coming from other sources. we tend to forget what the Tao Te Ching advises -- " the truth that can be expressed is not the Eternal Truth ... "

captron52 said...

Hi Sito Thanks for the visit and for sharing your thoughts with us. Hope this new week brings you and yours much peace and joy!

christopherdossantos3@gmail.com said...

Namaste brother Ron, another excellent post my friend. My perspective is rather simple and humble. Always remember; I am a dumb ass in desperate need of learning. Often, I try to remind myself of sergeant Schultz from Hogan's Heroes. His famous line was always. "I know nothing".

Perhaps, the greatest light is realised when we finally accept truth is an elusive beast whose tail we will never catch a firm grip upon.

Thank you for the light you shed upon our world brother.

In Lak' ech, prosper with the words I believe... live without the words I know...

captron52 said...

Hi Christopher Ah Yeah, I well remember Sgt. Schultz and that particular line. I've used that same line myself more than a few times! I love your perspective of being simple and humble. I always try my best to remain the same way. And how right you are about realizing that truth is surely an elusive beast at times. Thank you for the kind words and for stopping in for a visit and sharing your thoughts with us. Peace and joy to you and yours as always.